Friday, April 22, 2011

The Stingy Triangle

Alright, I've made an executive decision (I am, after all, the executive of this blog). This will be the last post I spend talking about how we've managed to save money on Weighted. I promised to dedicate a couple of posts to the subject, but now I feel trapped by that promise, and I've become bored. And if I'M bored.... Right. Moving on.

There is a secret, you know, to saving money. It's time. No matter what, filmmaking is expensive, and it will exact its costs one way or another. So you don't have money. Guess what you do have? Time is actually way more valuable than money, which is why film is such a demanding god to serve. It's like the tax collector saying, "Oh, you're broke? That's fine, I'll just take your son."

"Oh well that's a relief. For a moment I thought I wasn't going to be able to pay you."

There's only one effective ingredient that will catalyze the process of converting time into money, and it's planning. A LOT of planning. Guess when we really started rolling with pre-production on this 10-minute film we're trying to make about a girl who can't fly? January. And we're shooting the first week of May. Don't worry, I won't make you do math--it's four months. Four months of pre-production on a ten minute film.

Who knows what the ratio would be? A month for a hundred dollars? Less? Probably. It's kind of obscene. But that's the way it goes.

Here's an image that will probably end up making you feel sad inside:




Pick two. No film will ever be all three. Ever. So now the only thing you really have to remember is that you should never pick the top two (and you'll be lucky if you can manage to end up with the bottom one.)

***

Thank you to the 3 people who clicked the "Like" button on the Facebook page widget. 100 points to the next three people who click it!

No comments:

Post a Comment