Friday, July 8, 2011

The Friday 'Stache

Best. Emoticon. Ever.

Perhaps it was the rock I was under, but I'd never seen it before a friend of mine.










I won't tell you how long this week's Quiet Dignity took me to edit. Suffice it to say there was a LOT of unusable footage, and color correction, and...anyway. I hope it's at least kind of funny.



This whole YouTube comedy channel thing is...not easy.


So, if you're going to make a travelogue slideshow, do it like this:



A friend of mine, Jesse Moore, shared that on Google+ recently. Do you have Google+ yet? Get on it. It's awesome. It might kill Facebook. (Let's cross all of our most hopeful fingers.)


Here's a trailer I love:



And here's a thing I said about it last week:
M:I 2 was wretched. It was directed by John Woo and written by, apparently, a confused but overconfident 15-year-old. Then the third film came out, and lots of people didn't see it, because they didn't want to be punished by anything similar to the previous installment. But it was actually the best of the three, directed by J.J. Abrams, who is an astonishingly good filmmaker. 
Enter number 4, which was written by Abrams, and directed by Brad Bird, who has never done a live-action film, but who HAS directed films like The Incredibles, Iron Giant, and Ratatouille, and took iron-fisted control over all of them, being something of an auteur.

I'll also note that the cast has changed pretty dramatically from film to film. This film will introduce Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker), and give Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Star Trek) a bigger role, not to mention the other strong, lesser-known names.

Conclusion: never assume anything about a film until you know who's behind it. The greatest determinant of whether a film will be any good is its writers and director.
Rant concluded.

And this post as well.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed...Mission Impossible 2 was horrible and I'm so glad I saw MI3 anyway! Will definitely see 4... taking your word for it that it won't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete